Fire at Lefkoşa state hospital
A fire broke out this morning at the Dr. Burhan Nalbantoğlu State Hospital.
A fire broke out this morning at the Dr Burhan Nalbantoğlu State Hospital.
The fire reportedly erupted earlier this morning in the hospitals cardiovascular surgery department, located at the second floor.
The whole building was evacuated and patients were transferred to nearby hospitals.
It has been reported that two male inpatients, 74 and 62 were transferred to a private hospital where they died.
The 74-year-old man was an inpatient at the hospitals intensive care when the fire erupted.
Efforts are underway to assess the extent of the damage caused by the fire.
Meanwhile, state and government officials rushed to the scene of the fire.
Speaking at the scene of the fire, Prime Minister Ersin Tatar said that the necessary instructions had been given for a crisis desk to be established.
He thanked the health, fire fighting and civil defence crews who had swiftly intervened.
Tatar said that everyone was deeply saddened by the incident and that the TRNC mobilized all its resources at times such as these.
The Prime Minister also said that the evacuation and transfer of 300 patients to nearby hospitals was a success.
The states duty is to make sure that the hospital is up and running as soon as possible. We as the government will do everything necessary to make sure this happens, he said.
Speaking to BRT, Health Minister Ali Pilli said that all measures were in place at the Dr Burhan Nalbantoğlu State hospital.
He said that doctors, nurses and clinic chiefs had transferred the 300 or so patients to nearby hospitals in a coordinated fashion.
Pilli added that the crisis desk will carry out all necessary work to ensure that the hospital becomes operational again.
President Mustafa Akıncı was also at the scene where he inspected the damage caused by the fire.
Akıncı who received information about the fire from Health Minister Ali Pilli and the Chief of the Dr Burhan Nalbantoğlu State Hospital Dr Adil Özyılkan wished patients transferred to other hospitals a speedy recovery.
Prime Minister Ersin Tatar later in the morning visited patients transferred to the Near East University Hospital.
Speaking at a press conference afterwards, Tatar said that the fire was believed to have been caused by a short-circuited wire.
He said that there were 42 adults and 11 infants who had been transferred to the NEU hospital, all of which were doing well.
Meanwhile, the Greek Cypriot leader Nicos Anastasiades contacted President Mustafa Akıncı by telephone today expressing his condolences and offering any assistance needed.
President Mustafa Akıncı thanked the Greek Cypriot leader for his assistance and said that the Bicommunal Technical Committee on Health was in contact since the fire broke out.
He added that he will contact Mr Anastasiades if the need emerged.